Sunday, July 8, 2007

Out Of My League

It's funny that I was so recently engaged in discussion over who is or isn't "out of my league" with Gay Canuck in the Capital, as well as another blogger named Dirk Mancuso, whose blog has such a long name I seldom deign to use it.

Funny because I was recently approached by someone who isn't so much out of my league as an entirely different species from me.

Naturally, I have every reason to doubt his sincerity. The Internet is packed to the rafters with liars, cheats, and scoundrels of all kinds (much like Parliament). Unlike Parliament, though, on the Internet there aren't any rules.

This young man is Russian, and judging by his pictures, a tidy little bundle of hunk at that. He contacted me via Lovetastic, which is the only dating-type profile I have up anymore.

Now Lovetastic (as great as it is) isn't exactly Yahoo personals, which is probably why I've left that profile up for as long as I have. It's a low-key site, catered to men looking for quality over quantity.

I figure if this Russian found me there he must have been looking for awhile.

So why do I doubt his sincerity? I can believe there are gay men in Russia, and I can believe they may even be lovelorn. So why come looking for me? Unless, of course, he wants something.

I'm afraid I'm so shattered by my dating experience that I'll never believe another man's sincerity again. While I've pretty well managed to convince myself that I'll be alone for the rest of my life, every couple of weeks my facade develops a crack.

This guy found that crack and has been stuffing dynamite in it.

What to do, what to do...

No comments: